Week 4

Week 4 was the start of the group producing the game. We all had a hand in adding to the code and producing different algorithms for the robot. I, (alongside a teammate), produced the countdown timer and the basic movement loops

Loops that I worked on:.

Timer

(Above) This loop is the countdown timer. It runs before anything else and tells the user when they can start the game. It also triggers the start of the game, (as the movement loops run afterwards, preventing users from starting too early and cheating)

(Below) The image below shows how the countdown loop links to the movement. The countdown runs beforehand. Once the countdown has finished and the sound stating so has played, the user is allowed to move using the Bluetooth controller. There are multiple options for the controller buttons and the various associated movements, (be it the hammer or the main motors).

Testing2

Advertisements
Week 4

Week 3

Flow

This flowchart was designed by myself and 2 other group members to accurately portray the way that our robot would work in the context of the game.

The flow is quite self explanatory, but we will need to add certain elements to the diagram depending on any hardware changes we make, (such as adding in the Mindwave headset or changing various components for different functionality).

Week 3

Week 2

Week 2:

This was the week that the group began to build the robot and realise the more complex features of the game that would be required. I came up with an idea to use the sound of the balloon popping to denote when a point was scored, meaning that we had a consistent way of deciding when the score will increase and give a objective way of scoring users.

Also, we came up with the idea to use a light sensor to detect the colour of paths This would allow us to link the colour to a multiplier and not have to worry about the colour of the balloons. This idea, along with my idea for sound sensing, meant that we could change our game idea to allow for 3 different coloured paths that have balloons on them. The paths would vary in difficulty, but the balloon colour would not change, only the sound would be picked up by the robot.

Week 2

Week 1

Week 1:

At the start of the project, we split the group into 2. 3 of us worked on the generation of ideas for the game and the others built the base of our robot. I was in the former.

Whilst conversing with my colleagues, we came across a few different ideas that we thought would be viable for the game. We decided upon a game where the user controls the robot along a path, (there are 3 difficulties) bursting balloons with the “hammer” along the way. The balloons would be of 3 different colours, so one colour would be worth more than another and the user’s score would be indicative of that.  This game stood out to us as it covered all of our criteria that we had set out for the game.

The game was my idea. I came across the thought whilst looking at the base that we had and considering what modifications we could make and how effective a game we could produce in our limited timescale.

Week 1